If Santa would deliver you what you wanted for your firm, what would it be? Maybe you’d look forward to next year and think about business development. How about a bunch of marketing tips to help you? I’m not Santa, but can I help. If I gave you some marketing tips, maybe you could ask Santa for something else for your firm?
5 Marketing Tips for your firm
I asked a number of contributors, colleagues and marketing companies for some marketing tips they’d share. Then I analysed what’s worked well for clients. Here is your list, now you can ask Santa for something else instead.
- What is marketing? I bet you didn’t expect that in a list of marketing tips! But seriously what is marketing in a small firm? Yesterday I revisited somebody who wanted marketing tips and didn’t like it when I told him to focus on client service, then asking for referrals. He said “that’s not marketing”. Three months later, it’s working very well. Is your perception of marketing that’s in the way? Focus on the small bits and do them well, before doing “marketing things” like than big mail campaigns.
- Marketing objectives: What‘s the purpose of your marketing and how are you measuring that specific purpose. “Get more business isn’t specific enough”, “get better known” isn’t easily measurable in a small firm. How many leads per month do you need, from where and what’s your process for dealing with them? When you know your objectives, set up a tactical marketing plan. In a small firm, with limited resource, focus on lead generation. Download our guide to creating a tactical marketing plan, , it's free and waiting for you to download right now. Click here for instant access (email address required).
- Social media marketing: Maybe you think it’s old hat by now? Maybe you’re one of the firms who have “tried it and not got great results”? Two years ago people said it was going away, it hasn’t, and won’t! How can you focus your social media on conversations with relevant people, and in that way target your efforts? Think about it as networking with specific people, rather than trying to copy “old style push marketing“. Protecting your credibility on LinkedIn is a good place to start, did you read “LinkedIn: Is it destroying your credibility?“
- Sales and Marketing: Consider how you link your sales and marketing activities. Many professionals don’t follow up enough. As a result believe they need more marketing. A sales process, which allows you to keep hold of your leads and convert more of them is normally worth a lot more than “doing more marketing”. Read “how do I create a sales process to help me sell more?“
- Content marketing: Is this a modern buzz phrase, or something real? Content marketing is about giving prospects material they’ll find so useful they’d be fools to go elsewhere. The world is changing, people want to deal with experts and test that expertise before dealing with them. Content, be it through blogs, social, newsletters, seminars, or magazine articles allows you to do that. Marketing tips around content start with deciding what you want to be the for, and focus on that specific thing. What will you do to get better known as an expert over the next 12 months?
So, what are you going to do differently with your marketing in 2015? How are you going to grow your profits, have happier clients, staff and family? Download our free guide to improving your marketing, it's free and waiting for you to download right now. Click here for instant access (email address required).
What marketing tips would you offer others, if you were to wish them a happy Christmas?